telc Deutsch B 1 / Zertifikat Deutsch demonstrates that you have a sound basic knowledge of everyday German and that you have the language skills required for dealing with all kinds of different situations encountered every day.
The exam is set at Level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) — an internationally recognised benchmark of language ability and is aimed at adults and youngsters of 16 and over. At this level a typical candidate can understand the details of important information conveyed in conversations, public announcements and radio reports, fully understand important information provided in newspaper articles, statistics and everyday descriptions, write logical private or semi-formal messages, such as letters or e-mails, hold a simple conversation on a topic of personal interest, briefly give their views on it and respond appropriately to a partner’s opinion, report on something, make a suggestion or agree on something in everyday situations.
telc Deutsch B1 is recognised in South Tyrol as being equivalent to the local bilingual examination C.
The exam is divided into two parts:
Written exam: Listening, Reading and Writing (approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes)
- Reading comprehension (1 hour and 30 minutes): reading classified advertisements and a longer report or factual text and then doing realistic exercises on them.
- Cloze test: filling in the gaps in a letter by selecting the right word from a number of possibilities offered.
- Listening (30 minutes): listening to brief conversations, announcements and a longer interview and then doing exercises on them
- Written production (30 minutes): writing a personal or formal letter
Oral exam (approx. 15 minutes + 20 minutes preparation)
introducing yourself, passing on the information contained in a diagram, picture or text and talking to your partner about an everyday topic. During the dialogue, candidates have to respond to questions, express opinions and make suggestions.
Further information and sample papers
Enrolments: at alpha beta piccadilly Bolzano / Bozen and Merano / Meran
Cost: € 102
Preparation for the exam: we offer preparation courses for this exam
- March (enrolment deadline mid February)
- June (enrolment deadline mid May)
- September (enrolment deadline mid August)
- December (enrolment deadline mid November)